Monday, July 18, 2011

WOW....I am WAY behind on blogging!

(Part 1 of ?)

Runners on Parade Review

Runners on Parade was a great experience.  It was my partner "T" and I's first road race. 

The Good:

1.  Awesome time!!!  Definitely a PR!
2.  We survived!
3.  Cheering spectators!
4.  Friends and family at the finish line!
5.  We passed some people for the first time...lol

The Bad:

1.  I was totally nervous and my body was letting me know it. 
2.  We couldn't find Wells L.
3.  We didn't know the course
4.  We forgot to warm up
5.  We didn't stick together

T and I learned a lot from this race.  We learned a lot about us as a TEAM.  We thought we had been communicating, especially considering that we were seeing each other 5 days a week.  But we weren't really talking about the RIGHT things.  We finally discussed what we liked and disliked about our training and the races.  Since we're both new to this, we don't have much experience to know how these things are supposed to go.  My biggest concern was that my partner left me in our very first 2 races.  We have a mini in September, and I was worried that I'd be doing it alone.  We talked and decided that we will stick together at every race.  Even in training, my partner has done better this week to stick by my side.  She's a much stronger runner than I am, but I'm sooo much slower with out her at my side.  We decided that we want to do these races and training TOGETHER.

All in all, I'm not sure that I would say that I had a very good experience with this run, but that is not say that I wouldn't do it again in the future.

My finishing time was 41:32.1.  Since this race was only 3 miles, we still have yet to have an official 5K time.

Will post pictures later.

2 comments:

  1. Ummm - the GOOD is missing as few things:
    Wells L & "C" were at the finish screaming our heads off for you!!

    You met Holly from rustbeltrunner.com (a bloggy meet up)

    You kicked butt and pushed through on your first BIG race (there aren't too many 5K's with over 800 participants).

    Great job! Glad you 2 got to talk things over and found some common ground. "C" and I definitely believe that running together is always better than doing it alone!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't forget you; I said that there were friends cheering. Lol. Allow me to re-phrase...Wells L and "C" were heard from a quart of a mile away as we ran to the finish line! Yes, I met Holly from rustbeltrunner and Lisa was there, a former acquaintance. It was nice to see/meet them. There were several things on the "good" side of the list.

    ReplyDelete