Friday, July 8, 2011

10 Miles....Completed!

Finally!  We had to spread out the miles due to schedule conflicts and increasing heat.  We did 5.5 miles yesterday morning and then we did 4.5 miles to finish up that night.

The 4.5 Mile break down:

Okay, so all day at work (after our early morning 5.5 miles) my legs were seriously protesting.  I finally broke down and took some Ibeprophen...something I don't like to do unless it's absolutely necessary.  When that didn't cut it, I took more.  Finally, an hour later, I had relief.  Then....I pooped out.  I went home, skipped supper and just crashed on the couch for 2 hours.  But, all good things must come to an end.  It was time to wake up and finish these 10 miles.  Now I'll admit, I tried to think up a really really good excuse to tell my partner why we shouldn't do it, skip it, go shopping, ANYTHING but run again.  But....no such luck.
So this one was a little different.  We pushed T's 4 year old in a jogging stroller and took turns pushing.  This really did add to the intensity.  We also changed our intervals to 1:10/2:50 jog/walk.  We did well.  We didn't need to walk through any intervals.  However, we did have to stop at the bridge to see the water.."A" (T's little one) loves that part of our walks!  She definitely kept us entertained.  :) 

We pushed through towards the end of our 3 mile mark to get a good idea on time.  We were at 42 minutes...which is over 5 minutes faster than our last 5K (Full Moon Run)!!  We were pleased to say the least.   We will be doing the Runners on Parade tomorrow morning (Watch for the girls in PINK!), so we're hoping for a similar time.

Our overall time for the 4.5 miles was 1 hour and 9 minutes...which means we are improving!  Thank goodness! 

I have 4 blisters, but my muscles are feeling good. Today we are resting up before our race.  If you are going to be there, make sure you say Hi to us, give us a shout out, cheer us on, or simply wish us luck!  We'll be doing the same for all the other contestants.  :o)

6 comments:

  1. Way to gut it out and push through despite having 1000 excuses to skip it (girl, I know that feeling ALL TO WELL!!!). Great job. 42 minutes in a training run???? OMg - I just did the Diva Dash 5K in 41:30 - woo hoo, girl, you're getting faster and stronger!

    Blisters- I battled them and have learned a LOT - let air get to them as often and as long as you can. Just take your shoes and socks off as soon as you can. Don't pop them! You may need to play around with different socks. I went through 15 different kinds before I found "the ones" which are toe socks. I still get a couple of little blisters, but they are NOTHING compared to the huge ones I got last summer.

    Rest today and tonight! Tonight before you go to bed, lay out EVERYTHING you are planning on taking to the race. Gum, camera, lip balm, hat or visor, water bottle (there are probably 2 water stations), bib, chip, watch, timers, etc. Just have it all laid out in one place so you know it's all ready to go so you don't stress during the night.

    I'm wearing a blue shirt and "C" is wearing a green & blue shirt. Let's meet up in the Calhoun turn around area before the race, otherwise, we'll wait for you at the finish line.

    Good luck - MOST importantly, ENJOY THE EXPERIENCE!!! HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!!!!!!!!!! This one will be different than other races, but will be a lot of fun. Races should be fun and this will be a good one!!!

    See you later tonight when I bring you the packets and then tomorrow!!!!

    Drink LOTS Of water today and eat healthy foods that will fuel your body!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it's good to break up the mileage. You still get the total number of miles, but the break can help both physically and mentally.

    Good luck at your race! You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness - you girls were fast at today's race. WOW - where did that speed come from? Such an awesome job. I was THRILLED to see you 2!!!! Continued success with your training. I'm going to be without a running partner again this week and am set to do 3, 4, 5, and 10 miler - do you know your training schedule for the week? I'd LOVE to tag along for some or all of a run.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry for the 3rd comment - totally got to get your email address on my home email system! Anyway, I'm super curious and hope you'll post about it. You commented on my post about race rules that you were going to use my 9 rules but modify them a little to meet your needs. I'm curious what rules you settled on and how did it all work out for you - were the rules helpful or not and were you able to follow them or not? Just really curious - mine worked out perfecto for me (except the not walking through an interval during the last mile - I walked about 30 seconds during the home stretch of all places)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey - where's all the posts? Come on girl - race recap!!!! You did so well - celebrate it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saw this blog post from Runners' world and thought might be helfpul for you based on one of your previous post concerns

    http://beginners.runnersworld.com/2011/07/how-can-i-balance-half-marathon-training-and-weight-loss.html

    ReplyDelete