Thursday, September 1, 2011

Anger is a motivator!!

Yesterday was in the top 10 for worst work days.  By the end of the day, I didn't want to talk to anyone..including my husband...not that he did anything wrong.  I was just so upset that I didn't want to speak....period.  I emailed my partner that I wasn't going to be much of a social bug and that I'd be running alone.  I called the hubs to let him know as well.  I went home and layed stuff out for dinner, got dressed, barely stretched (bad idea...feeling it now!) and hit the road RUNNING.  No interval beeper...just steady running.  It's amazing how much anger can push the body.  I knew I couldn't go too far because I had dinner to make, I was running on an empty stomach, and I was running out of water quickly.  I contemplated doing 3 miles, buy my water supply wasn't going to last.  I stopped mid-way and rested...letting my heart rate come down as to avoid it beating out of my chest.  I knew I was pushing myself in every way...probably too far too fast...but I was determined.  I ended up RUNNING 1.88 miles.  The furthest to date.  I know it doesn't sound like much to most of you out there...but that was SOMETHING for me.  My calves are aching today, but will recover. I can't say that I'm necessarily "proud" of my run considering the mood...I kinda feel like a child that threw a fit in the grocery store...rolling on the floor screaming because mom won't buy me my favorite kind of cereal.  I did the run for anger, not mileage...perhaps that's the difference. 
I must say, I felt better after the run.  I wouldn't say that I was less angry, but I was less something.  I talked to the hubs, trying to talk through the anger and frustration.  By the end of the night, I was still in a tissy...typical me...and so silly to be worked up over such stupid things that won't last forever...but it is what it is.  Now that yesterday is in the past, it's time to look forward to the future...


My partner and I are meeting up with Wells L and her partner "C" tonight to get some pointers for our BIG race at Fort 4 Fitness.  We also have the Parlor City Trot 10 Mile race in 2 days, so we'll be practicing our strategy then.  I'm excited to gain some wisdom from these girls.  They've been to many races at 1/2 marathon distances, which are much different from the 5K's that we've done. 


If you could give a new runner once piece of advice about running a race, what would it be?

1 comment:

  1. First - I LOVE THE QUESTION YOU POSED TO THE READERS - AWESOME QUESTION!!! CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR WHAT PEOPLE SAY!!!! I have lots of advice, but I think the one thing that has helped me most is to realize that race strategy/planning and mental prep is AS IMPORTANT if not more so than the physical training you've done all these months.

    Second, I'm sorry you had a bad day - but as a wellness coach I'm super thrilled that you used exercise to deal with your emotions - woo hoo - huge step I'd say! Running - yeah, that's what you turned to in order to deal with your anger - ummmm, WOW - I'm sooo proud and speechless!!!!

    See you in a few - "L" is coming too :) You get a special bonus tonight!!!

    ReplyDelete