Friday, August 26, 2011

New Gear

So I found this adorable little running skort on ebay.  I got it in the mail yesterday and I was thrilled!!!  I have some new knee high socks that I'm going to pair with it. 
The pink leopard ones obviously match better, but that color of blue is my fav. so I just had to get them.  I haven't decided when I'm going to wear this.  I'm running 4 miles tomorrow morning, so I might try out my style then.  I'll be going solo this time.  I had my husband help his technologically inclined wife download music from my old computer from college to my ipod.  The music is definitely a help when solo....I'm learning to like it.  I must have a partner, but a solo run is always good to clear the head every once in a while.

Sunday, my partner and I will be setting out to do our first 13 mile run.  Ugg.  I sorta have a bad taste in my mouth about those distances.  Our 11 and 12 mile runs weren't great..in fact...they sucked.  I know that we CAN go the distance, but my poor partner will have to listen to me complain about my aches and pains for the first half.  Eventually, I will get sick of hearing myself and just shut up.....it's our routine sadly enough. 

I really want to try to mentally prep myself for this.  I'm hoping my partner and I can work out a "rough draft" of a plan.  These 13 mile runs are good practice for how our 1/2 is going to go.  I'm going to work on mapping out a route today.  I hear that the weather is supposed to be cooler....well...cooler than the freakin' 90's we've been so used to.

It was suggested to me that I start listening to books on tape (or however you do it...ipod...CD...I don't know).  I love to read and running has really cut in to it.  I think I could go longer distances getting caught up in a good story.  Do any of you listen to books when running???

2 comments:

  1. SUCH.A.CUTE.OUTFIT!!!!!!Ohhhh man, how cute will you be at the half!!!! I say you should definitely take it out on a test run and then save it back for the big race(s) - girl, wear whatever color you want and like that will pump you up!!!!! NICE!!!!!
    I do listen to books on my ipod and blackberry (my husband helped me otherwise I wouldn't know). Healthystrides listens to lots of books. I do enjoy them especially since I'm not a big fan of music. It's kind of like having a running partner who is talking to you the full time :) It also helps to get out there for the next run and the next run and the next run because you want to know what is happening next in the book.
    Good luck with your 13 miler - it's far,but it's possible. You've trained very well for it and you can have HUGE confidence knowing at the half marathon starting line that you have gone the distance . . . priceless feeling - so many of the people standing next to you at the starting line won't have gone 13 before but you will have confidence you can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the skort and knee socks! How cute!

    I agree with Wells L, it will be such a great confidence boost to have the 13 miles under your belt. I will go in never having run the full distance and I worry that will be a mental burden.

    I am sure you will do great at F4F!

    ReplyDelete