Friday, August 5, 2011

DOUBLE WOW!!!

Today, I am on top of the world.  Last night, my partner and I set out to RUN an entire mile.  Something we have NEVER attempted to do before.  We mapped out a mile on familiar ground and set off with my hubs on his bike bringing up the rear with words of encouragement.  We simply wanted to challenge our selves and see what we were capable of. 

What did we find out?

We FREAKIN' ROCK!!!!

It was just like Forest Gump's run..well..sorta.

We started out saying "let's just try to make it to the end of the road".  Then, when we got there, we decided to make it to the next road, and then the next.  Eventually, I needed to walk to catch my breath...my lungs still hurt from the chest cold that I have been fighting (but glad to say I'm almost over).  In the entire mile, we only stopped twice for 30 seconds!  Our time you ask?

Drum roll please....

DRrrrrruuuuummmmmmm.....





11:42.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's 3 minutes faster than we have EVER done!!!  Our goal now is to train twice a week with these runs pushing the distance each time.  We'd eventually like to run an entire 5K.  What an awesome goal!!!  We were both so shocked at ourselves and how well we did!  But after 15 weeks of training, we SHOULD be able to do that.  And now that we know that we can run a mile....things will only get easier....I hope.  :)

_________

For the second story of my "double wow" is that we did 3 INTENSE miles this morning.  Our aunt joined us and she is a SERIOUS power walker.  I started to jog along side them to just get my heart rate up, and they decided to join me.  CRAP...what was I thinking??  Now we were running AND power walking.  Most people do this anyway...but I can't power walk...it's not in me.  My body says, "well if you are going to go this fast, you might as well jog or die".  I kept up...sorta.  We finished the three miles, but I can't imagine doing more than 3 at that pace.  It was a good experience and is definitely what I need.  It just goes to show that I am NOT the pace setter....AT ALL.  It would be beneficial to train with her at that pace...it would definitely take me a while to get used to it though.  Keep in mind, my aunt has been power walking for years...so she has a speed that I've never worked with before.

Anyway...pat on the back for us today!!! 

Dreaded 12 miles is coming up Saturday.  Tonight....we're hitting the 3 Rivers Running Company to shop around a little.  We have both ran the bottoms off our shoes.  If I find any awesome deals or learn something while I'm there...I might be inclined to blog about it ;). 

Question for the day....What brand of shoes are YOUR favorite?

2 comments:

  1. DOUBLE WOW INDEED!!! Way to go girls!!!! I'm so proud of you!!! Great job. Have fun at 3RRCo!!!! In case Eric or Casey help you up there - tell them you know me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey April, "C" wanted to comment but said she couldn't get it to work so here is what she emailed me . . . She's super thrilled for you too.

    " I’m happy that she is finding success in her running now. Maybe all she needs is someone like her husband to push her a little."

    Sorry for the cut and paste job from my email to your blog, but I thought you should know that she thought of you and is happy for you.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete